During the final school week before Christmas everybody took part in a STEM afternoon - we learnt that this was short for Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths. Everyone found the activities exciting, the children created; cottonbud ladders so Santa's elves could get up into his sleigh, hot chocolate flasks from newspaper and reindeer harnesses from pipecleaners. I have attached another STEM activity that you might have a go at during the holidays. Enjoy your Christmas break!
Dissolving Candy Canes
You can set up the investigation to see what happens when you put Candy Canes into different liquids. The results will suprise you!
- Soapy water
- Candy Canes
How to set it up:
- Take time to fill 5 cups up with the same amount of liquid in each glass.
- Put the candy canes in a container close to the glasses so that you can put them in quickly.
- What do you think will happen? Why?
- Place the Candy Canes in the liquids, make sure you take notice of what happens to them.
- You may even time how long it takes for the Candy Canes to dissolve.
- What suprised you?